Skip to main content

Gestalt: Mockup

This is from class on Wednesday 8/31. We had to find the rest of the definitions for the remaining terms which I will post underneath. While filling in remaining terms, we had to begin mockup for our Visual Order books. My digital mockup of my final book is posted here.


  • Similarity
    • When objects are related to one another by color, shape, or texture, viewers will group these individual elements together
  • Proximity
    • When the correlation of objects relies on how close the objects are to each other
  • Closure
    • When an object is incomplete, or not fully closed, but the overall shape can be perceived by filling in the missing information.
  • Continuation
    • When the viewer interprets a line of curve as a continuous path, rather than separate lines
  • Figure / Ground
    • The distinction and perception of objects that stand out from its background
  • Symmetry / Order
    • The impression that nothing in the composition is out of balance, missing, or wrong
  • Asymmetrical Balance
    • When unequal visual weight is balanced with one side containing a dominant element and the other containing several smaller objects
  • Dilation
    • A figure expanding from a central point
  • Focal Point
    • When the main point or object is emphasized or different to catch and hold attention
  • Uniform Connectedness
    • Elements that are considered more connected by visual characteristics, such as a line, than elements that are not

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

S.O.S Layout Assistance

The next project for Type 3 we had to design a product that people (student designers) could use to learn about a specific part of typography / typesetting. We were supposed to choose an aspect about type that we necessarily did not know ourselves / something we could have used when learning to typeset The Exegesis. After typesetting The Exegesis, I realized my biggest issue was margins and layout design. So, I teamed up with Brooke Cirone to develop a product that people can play with to help view text boxes in a manipulative and creative way. This helped me understand spatial value, and understanding that layouts don't just have to be boxes - they can be any shape you please. We also had to develop packaging, I wanted to create a box with a sticker to show the branding - but time and costs became a big issue. We chose a clear holder to hold all of the materials in that could essentially be packaged the way it came, with a handy dandy holder to place materials and can be easily s...

Dot + Visual Grammar

This is from class Wednesday 8/24: Dot + Visual Grammar, where we did 12 versions of each gestalt principle, with three themes to explore. My three themes were pills (medication), books, and nature. Out of all three I really like my nature photos, because I wanted to explore these principles through the environment instead of just objects. I also like my pills as well because I feel like they visually explain each principle better than the other two. I am going to post my favorite ones, as well as my contact sheet.

Type 3: Sculpture

I wanted to focus on the main "Form One" and "Form Two" part within the reading. I decided to take two spherical shapes and have one be smaller as the underdeveloped twin and fill it with black ink. Both spheres have smaller orbs inside them signifying lifeforms. In the underdeveloped one, the orbs are drowning in black ink. Around the pedestal that Form Two is sitting on, there is black wire coming out of the bottom and winding upward as if it is attacking / trying to infect Form One hanging above. Form One I decided to leave clear with bright orbs inside with a tiny red / pink flake that can be seen if you look closely. These are just some of the images I took that I wanted to add to the blog, I have a lot more but I didn't want this post to be super long.