Skip to main content

Gestalt: Final

This post is going to be combining a few different class days in Visual Communication I.

Wednesday 9/7: We toured the Print Shop and got our information to print our final version of our Visual Order: Gestalt books. I did not get a desk crit with Emmy that day.

Monday 9/12: I was absent this day with a doctor's note, but I sent my mockup to Emmy, while others brought their printed mockups to class for group critiques.

Wednesday 9/14: This day we started our new project Monday Prototyping, which has it's own blog post. For Gestalt, I wanted to make this note to place the feedback I got on my mockup.

  • Tyler
    • Make body text lowercase. Words in capital letters have the same shape (a rectangle) so, they’re harder to distinguish
    • Rethink horizontal lines, everything is already distinguishable in their own space
    • Rethink border around both left and right side
    • How to make everything more related
    • First few pages have block behind text, but not the rest
  • Emmy
    • Too safe!
    • Other people are making their text do the same thing as the picture, how can I make more of a unity between the two
    • Don't think about the audience
    • Pictures are really the only thing interesting, how can I make the other side interesting
  • Toni
    • Incorporate what we are doing in Image to the book
    • Get messy!
    • Everything is too straightforward
    • How can I make people have to look for the information, but not make it illegible 


Monday 9/19: Finalized Visual Order book was due, we had to bring our final print to class, and upload the final on Issue, which is here!
I definitely like certain pages more than others. I felt pretty rushed with this, but I am going to go back and work on the things I want to change, and incorporate the information I got during critique.

Class Critique:

  • White text is good
  • "Table of Contents" is too close to the top
  • "Closure" is the only word in the whole book that crosses over to the next page, so try to apply that to other places
  • "Asymmetrical Balance" page does not read well, whole thing should be redone
  • Some words explain the term visually but some of them don't like Dilation
  • Focal Point page, text on bottom left is too light to read

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

S.O.S Layout Assistance

The next project for Type 3 we had to design a product that people (student designers) could use to learn about a specific part of typography / typesetting. We were supposed to choose an aspect about type that we necessarily did not know ourselves / something we could have used when learning to typeset The Exegesis. After typesetting The Exegesis, I realized my biggest issue was margins and layout design. So, I teamed up with Brooke Cirone to develop a product that people can play with to help view text boxes in a manipulative and creative way. This helped me understand spatial value, and understanding that layouts don't just have to be boxes - they can be any shape you please. We also had to develop packaging, I wanted to create a box with a sticker to show the branding - but time and costs became a big issue. We chose a clear holder to hold all of the materials in that could essentially be packaged the way it came, with a handy dandy holder to place materials and can be easily s...

Type 3: Sculpture

I wanted to focus on the main "Form One" and "Form Two" part within the reading. I decided to take two spherical shapes and have one be smaller as the underdeveloped twin and fill it with black ink. Both spheres have smaller orbs inside them signifying lifeforms. In the underdeveloped one, the orbs are drowning in black ink. Around the pedestal that Form Two is sitting on, there is black wire coming out of the bottom and winding upward as if it is attacking / trying to infect Form One hanging above. Form One I decided to leave clear with bright orbs inside with a tiny red / pink flake that can be seen if you look closely. These are just some of the images I took that I wanted to add to the blog, I have a lot more but I didn't want this post to be super long.

Dot + Visual Grammar

This is from class Wednesday 8/24: Dot + Visual Grammar, where we did 12 versions of each gestalt principle, with three themes to explore. My three themes were pills (medication), books, and nature. Out of all three I really like my nature photos, because I wanted to explore these principles through the environment instead of just objects. I also like my pills as well because I feel like they visually explain each principle better than the other two. I am going to post my favorite ones, as well as my contact sheet.